Inovalon Reports Second Quarter 2020 Results
Second Quarter 2020 Highlights
- Q2 revenue of $162.2 million, up 3% YoY
- Q2 subscription-based platform revenue of $142.1 million, up 13% YoY, equating to 88% of Q2 total revenue
- Q2 net income of $2.0 million, resulting in diluted net income of $0.01 per share
- Q2 Non-GAAP net income of $22.0 million, up 15% YoY, resulting in Non-GAAP net income of $0.15 per share
- Q2 Adjusted EBITDA of $56.6 million, up 8% YoY, resulting in Adjusted EBITDA margin of 34.9%
- Q2 net cash provided by operating activities of $49.0 million
- Q2 new sales Annual Contract Value (ACV)1 totaled a record $75.7 million, up 38.1% YoY
Debt & Cash Highlights
- Voluntarily repaid $99 million (100% of all outstanding amounts) of revolver on June 4, 2020
- Cash balance as of June 30, 2020 totaling $95.6 million
- Net debt leverage ratio as of June 30, 2020 improved to 3.69x (versus 4.32x on June 30, 2019)
Trailing Twelve Month (TTM)2 Second Quarter 2020 Highlights
- TTM Q2 revenue of $656.3 million, up 12% period-over-period
- TTM Q2 subscription-based platform revenue of $563.1 million up 17% period-over-period, equating to 86% of period revenue
- TTM Q2 net income of $11.9 million
- TTM Q2 Non-GAAP net income of $81.9 million, up 42% period-over-period
- TTM Q2 Adjusted EBITDA of $218.0 million, up 16% period-over-period
- TTM Q2 net cash provided by operating activities of $129.7 million
- TTM Q2 new sales ACV totaled $238.7 million
2020 Guidance Highlights
- Raising low end of revenue range, and increasing Adjusted EBITDA and Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share guidance for full year 2020
- Providing third quarter 2020 guidance
Please refer to our Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Presentation Supplement available at http://investors.inovalon.com for additional information, 2020 financial guidance, additional financial metrics, and other topics that will be referenced during the Company’s conference call.
BOWIE, Md. , July 29, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Inovalon (Nasdaq: INOV), a leading provider of cloud-based platforms empowering data-driven healthcare, today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2020 and updated guidance for the third quarter and remainder of 2020.
“Inovalon’s focus on leading in innovation, serving as the enablement layer of data-driven healthcare, and landing new clients and expanding within existing clients, was fully demonstrated in the second quarter with broadening adoption of our platform and new sales hitting a record. Sales highlights in the quarter consisted of a strong portfolio of contracts, including such tremendous industry-leaders as Walmart and Cardinal Health. The Company also closed a long-term cloud-based SaaS contract expansion with an existing top-five payer client for a single solution on the Inovalon ONE® Platform worth in excess of $150 million in Total Contract Value3,” said Keith Dunleavy, M.D., Inovalon’s chief executive officer and chairman of the board. “I continue to be extraordinarily impressed with the Inovalon team, their dedication, energy, and performance in every corner of the Company as we navigate the COVID-19 environment and relentlessly deliver for our expanding portfolio of clients.”
Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results
- Revenue for the second quarter of 2020 was $162.2 million, a year-over-year increase of 3% compared with $157.0 million for the second quarter of 2019. TTM revenue for the second quarter of 2020 was $656.3 million, a period-over-period increase of 12%, compared with $584.6 million for the second quarter 2019 TTM period.
- Subscription-based platform revenue for the second quarter of 2020 was $142.1 million, or 88% of second quarter 2020 total revenue and a year-over-year increase of 13%, compared with $126.3 million for the second quarter of 2019, or 80% of second quarter 2019 total revenue. TTM subscription-based platform revenue for the second quarter of 2020 was $563.1 million, a period-over-period increase of 17%, compared with $479.4 million for the second quarter 2019 TTM period.
- Cost of revenue for the second quarter of 2020 was $36.8 million, or 22.7% of revenue, compared with $41.1 million, or 26.2% of revenue, for the second quarter of 2019.
- Net income for the second quarter of 2020 was $2.0 million, resulting in diluted net income of $0.01 per share, compared with $4.5 million and $0.03 per share, respectively, for the second quarter of 2019.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2020 was $56.6 million, up 8% year-over-year, compared with $52.2 million for the second quarter of 2019. Adjusted EBITDA margin for the second quarter of 2020 was 34.9%, an increase of 160 basis points, compared with 33.3% for the second quarter of 2019. TTM Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2020 was $218.0 million, a period-over-period increase of 16%, compared with $188.0 million for the second quarter 2019 TTM period. TTM Adjusted EBITDA margin for the second quarter of 2020 was 33.2%, a period-over-period increase of 100 basis points, compared with 32.2% for the second quarter 2019 TTM period.
- Non-GAAP net income for the second quarter of 2020 was $22.0 million, up 15% year-over-year, resulting in Non-GAAP net income of $0.15 per share, compared with $19.1 million and $0.13 per share, respectively, for the second quarter of 2019. TTM Non-GAAP net income for the second quarter of 2020 was $81.9 million, resulting in Non-GAAP net income of $0.56 per share, compared with $57.7 million and $0.39 per share, respectively, for the second quarter 2019 TTM period, an increase of 42% and 44%, respectively.
- Net cash provided by operating activities for the second quarter of 2020 was $49.0 million, an increase of 95%, compared with $25.2 million for the second quarter of 2019. TTM net cash provided by operating activities for the second quarter 2020 was $129.7 million, an increase of 18%, compared with $110.2 million for the second quarter 2019 TTM period. Free cash flow4 for the second quarter 2020 was $30.0 million, an increase of 166% compared with $11.3 million for the second quarter of 2019. TTM free cash flow for the second quarter of 2020 was $60.6 million, compared with $58.9 million for the second quarter 2019 TTM period.
“Inovalon delivered 13% year-over-year subscription-based platform revenue growth, record new sales Annual Contract Value of $76 million, and continued to substantially expand profitability during the quarter, demonstrating strong durability of revenue, platform financial performance characteristics, and market adoption of our business model despite a challenging environment,” said Jonathan R. Boldt, Inovalon’s chief financial officer. “We continue to successfully balance prudent costs and investments in ongoing innovation and capability expansion for long-term market leadership and growth, with concurrent attention to strong cash flow and profitability.”
Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA margin, Non-GAAP net income, and free cash flow are Non-GAAP measures. Net income is the GAAP financial measure most directly comparable to Adjusted EBITDA and Non-GAAP net income. Net cash provided by operating activities is the GAAP financial measure most directly comparable to free cash flow. Reconciliations of net income to Adjusted EBITDA and Non-GAAP net income and reconciliations of net cash provided by operating activities to free cash flow identifying the differences between net income and net cash provided by operating activities and each of these Non-GAAP financial measures, are included in this press release after the consolidated financial statements.
- Strong Sales Execution, Cloud-Based Platform Adoption, Record ACV, and Continued Subscription Growth. During the second quarter Inovalon successfully converted a wide array of opportunities within its sales pipeline into signed contacts driving record new sales ACV of $75.7 million (a metric which reflects only the first year of expected revenue from new contracts signed during a period), a 38.1% increase versus the second quarter of 2019. Sales were strong in all business units. The second quarter also demonstrated the broadening adoption of Inovalon’s cloud-based SaaS solutions with marquee industry-leading wins across multiple segments of the marketplace - including a top-five consumer retailer (Walmart), a top-five medical distributor (Cardinal), and a top-five payer - each entering into long-term (five to seven years) contracts, with the payer contract expansion alone resulting in a seven-year engagement with a Total Contract Value in excess of $150 million. Reflecting the growing strength of Inovalon’s cloud platform offerings, each of these were for 100% subscription-based, SaaS cloud-based platform solutions, contributing to the Company’s continued strong expansion in its subscription-based platform business which totaled $142.1 million during the second quarter, equating to 88% of second quarter total revenue, and reflecting 13% growth over the second quarter of 2019.
- Profitable Growth and SaaS Industry Leading Margins. The Company’s continued focus on cloud platform architecture efficiencies, marketplace connectivity, process automation, and the application of data supplementation and advanced analytics informed by Inovalon’s unparalleled primary source real-world data asset, together with the realization of continued product mix shift and strong market value recognition, resulted in increasing profitability for the Company during the second quarter. Cost of revenue as a percentage of revenue decreased to 22.7% in the second quarter versus 26.2% in the second quarter of 2019. This, in combination with the Company’s strong operational leverage, resulted in Adjusted EBITDA for the second quarter of 2020 coming in at $56.6 million, up 8% year-over-year, compared with $52.2 million for the second quarter of 2019. The resulting Adjusted EBITDA margin for the second quarter of 2020 was 34.9%, an increase of 160 basis points, compared with 33.3% for the second quarter of 2019.
- Strong Cash Balance, Strong Cash flow and Well Capitalized. During the second quarter the Company continued to generate strong cash flow, voluntarily paid back the entirety of its $99.0 million revolver, and further decreased its net debt ratio. Cash flow from operations was strong and consistent with internal expectations resulting in $49.0 million of net cash provided by operating activities for the second quarter of 2020. The Company exited the second quarter with $95.6 million of cash and cash equivalents, which is after the Company voluntarily paid down the entirety of the outstanding balance (of approximately $99.0 million) of its revolving credit facility on June 4, 2020. The Company ended the quarter with a further-improved net debt ratio of 3.69x, down from 3.79x at the end of the first quarter of 2020, and down from 4.32x at the end of the year-ago second quarter of 2019.
Other Financial Data and Key Metrics
The following constitute other financial data and key metrics that are presented quarterly.
- Growth of Datasets: At June 30, 2020, the MORE2 Registry® dataset contained approximately 319.5 million unique patient counts and nearly 56 billion medical event counts, increases of 14.7% and 22.1%, respectively, compared with June 30, 2019.
- Investment in Innovation: For the quarter ended June 30, 2020, Inovalon’s ongoing investment supporting innovations in advanced, cloud-based platforms empowering data-driven healthcare was $19.9 million, or 12% of revenue, an increase of $2.8 million, or 16%, compared to the prior year period.
- Analytical Process Count Growth: Inovalon’s trailing twelve-month Patient Analytics Months (“PAM”) count, which the Company believes is indicative of the Company’s overall level of analytical activity, grew to 72.3 billion as of June 30, 2020, an increase of 31.4%, compared with June 30, 2019.
Please see the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) for further detail regarding the preceding other financial data and key metrics.
As of July 17, 2020, the Company had 76.1 million shares of Class A common stock outstanding and 79.3 million shares of Class B common stock outstanding.
2020 Financial Guidance
In the setting of the substantive contract wins achieved in the second quarter of 2020 and the expectation of additional substantive wins during the second half of 2020, the Company has raised the low end of its revenue range and increased Adjusted EBITDA and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share, as well as made adjustments in net income and capital expenditures for the full year 2020 guidance. Reflecting these changes, and the progression of the quarter, Inovalon is providing the following update to its revenue cadence guidance for the remainder of 2020, updated full-year 2020 guidance, and third quarter of 2020 guidance, each as outlined within the tables below respectively.
|2020 Financial Quarter||Previous 2020 Guidance|
YoY Revenue Growth
Provided April 29, 2020
|Updated 2020 Guidance|
YoY Revenue Growth
Provided July 29, 2020
|Third Quarter||6% to 12%||5% to 11%|
|Fourth Quarter||6% to 12%||6% to 13%|
|Financial Metric||Previous 2020 Guidance |
April 29, 2020
|Updated 2020 Guidance |
July 29, 2020
Full Year 2019
|Revenue||$672 million to $698 million||$675 million to $698 million||5% to 9%|
|Net income||$16 million to $22 million||$15 million to $21 million||92% to 169%|
|Non-GAAP net income||$80 million to $85 million||$85 million to $91 million||10% to 17%|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$221 million to $231 million||$226 million to $236 million||7% to 12%|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||$160 million to $175 million||$160 million to $175 million||50% to 64%|
|Capital expenditures||$54 million to $60 million||$60 million to $64 million||2% to 9%|
|Diluted net income per share||$0.11 to $0.15||$0.10 to $0.14||100% to 180%|
|Non-GAAP diluted net income per share||$0.53 to $0.57||$0.57 to $0.61||10% to 17%|
|Financial Metric||Third Quarter 2020|
Provided July 29, 2020
|Revenue||$175 million to $185 million|
|Net income||$7 million to $8 million|
|Non-GAAP net income||$25 million to $26 million|
|Adjusted EBITDA||$61 million to $65 million|
|Diluted net income per share||$0.05 to $0.05|
|Non-GAAP diluted net income per share||$0.16 to $0.18|
Additional assumptions made within the Company’s 2020 guidance are as follows:
- While changes in the stock price could change the fully diluted share count, under the treasury stock method, 2020 guidance assumes 150 million weighted average diluted shares.
- 2020 guidance assumes an effective tax rate of approximately 28% for the full year.
Reconciliations of net income, the GAAP financial measure most directly comparable to Adjusted EBITDA and Non-GAAP net income, identifying the differences between each of these Non-GAAP financial measures and the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure, are included in this press release after the consolidated financial statements.
Inovalon will host a conference call to discuss its second quarter 2020 results at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time today. To participate in Inovalon’s conference call, please dial (855) 783-2604, conference ID 7199074; international callers should dial (631) 485-4882 using the same conference ID. A replay will be available on Inovalon’s investor relations website (http://investors.inovalon.com).
Please refer to our Second Quarter 2020 Earnings Presentation Supplement available at http://investors.inovalon.com for additional information, including 2020 financial guidance, additional financial metrics, and other topics that will be referenced during the Company’s conference call.
About the Inovalon ONE® Platform
The Inovalon ONE® Platform is an integrated cloud-based platform of nearly 100 individual proprietary technology toolsets and deep data assets able to be rapidly configured to empower the operationalization of large-scale, data-driven healthcare initiatives. Each proprietary technology toolset, referred to as a Module, is informed by the data of billions of medical events within Inovalon’s proprietary datasets. Combinations of Modules are configured to empower highly differentiated solutions for client needs quickly and in a highly scalable fashion. The flexibility of the modular design of the Platform enables clients to integrate the capabilities of the Platform with their own internal capabilities or other third-party solutions. The Platform brings to the marketplace a highly extensible, national-scale capability to interconnect with the healthcare ecosystem on a massive scale, aggregate and analyze data in petabyte volumes, arrive at sophisticated insights in real time, and drive meaningful impact wherever it is analytically identified best to intervene and intuitively visualize data and information to inform business strategy and execution.
Inovalon is a leading provider of cloud-based platforms empowering data-driven healthcare. Through the Inovalon ONE® Platform, Inovalon brings to the marketplace a national-scale capability to interconnect with the healthcare ecosystem, aggregate and analyze data in real time, and empower the application of resulting insights to drive meaningful impact at the point of care. Leveraging its Platform, unparalleled proprietary datasets, and industry-leading subject matter expertise, Inovalon enables better care, efficiency, and financial performance across the healthcare ecosystem. From health plans and provider organizations, to pharmaceutical, medical device, and diagnostics companies, Inovalon’s unique achievement of value is delivered through the effective progression of “Turning Data into Insight, and Insight into Action®.” Supporting thousands of clients, including 24 of the top 25 U.S. health plans, 22 of the top 25 global pharma companies, 19 of the top 25 U.S. healthcare provider systems, and many of the leading pharmacy organizations, device manufacturers, and other healthcare industry constituents, Inovalon’s technology platforms and analytics are informed by data pertaining to more than one million physicians, 559,000 clinical facilities, 319 million Americans, and nearly 56 billion medical events. For more information, visit www.inovalon.com.
Forward Looking Statements
Certain statements contained in this press release constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of, and are intended to be covered by the safe harbor provisions of, Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All statements contained in this press release other than statements of historical fact, including but not limited to statements regarding the roll-out of any product or capability, the timing, performance characteristics and utility of any such product or capability, and the impact of any such product or capability on the healthcare industry, future results of operations and financial position, business strategy and plans, market growth, and objectives for future operations, are forward-looking statements. The words “believe,” “may,” “see,” “will,” “estimate,” “continue,” “anticipate,” “assume,” “intend,” “expect,” “project,” “look forward,” “promise,” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements in this press release include, but are not limited to, expectations about future business plans, prospective performance and opportunities, strategies and business plans, expectations regarding future results, expectations regarding the size of our datasets, expectations regarding implementation timeframes, our ability to meet financial guidance for the third quarter and full year 2020, expectations regarding future contract wins, our ability to pay down outstanding indebtedness, expectations regarding interest payments, expectations regarding tax rates, expectations regarding and/or estimates of ACV and TCV, statements and expectations with respect to visibility, revenue retention and recurring revenue, including ACV and TCV, and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our business and operations. Inovalon has based these forward-looking statements largely on current expectations and projections about future events and trends that may affect financial condition, results of operations, business strategy, short-term and long-term business operations and objectives, and financial needs as of the date of this press release. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks, uncertainties, and assumptions, which could cause the future events and trends discussed in this press release not to occur and could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from those anticipated or implied in the forward-looking statements.
These risks, uncertainties, and assumptions include, among others: the effects and potential effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on our business, cash flow, liquidity and results of operations due to, among other things, effects on the economy generally and on our customers, including the possible effects of significant rising unemployment, the inability of consumers to timely pay our customers and the resulting potential inability of our customers to pay the fees under our contracts on time or in full; the delay in the contracting for services by our customers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic; potential other delays in the sales cycle for new customers and products; and other unforeseen impacts on our customers and potential customers and on our employees that could have a negative impact on us; the Company’s ability to continue and manage growth, ability to grow the client base, retain and renew the existing client base and maintain or increase the fees and activity with existing clients; the effect of the concentration of revenue among top clients; the ability to innovate new services and adapt platforms and toolsets; the ability to successfully implement growth strategies, including the ability to expand into adjacent verticals, such as direct to consumer, growing channel partnerships, expanding internationally and successfully pursuing acquisitions; the ability to successfully integrate our acquisitions and the ability of the acquired business to perform as expected; the successful implementation and adoption of new platforms and solutions, including the Inovalon ONE® Platform, ScriptMed® Cloud, Clinical Data Extraction as a Service (CDEaaS™), Natural Language Processing as a Service (NLPaaS™), Elastic Container Technology (ECT™), Healthcare Data Lake, and the Telehealth configuration of the Inovalon ONE® Platform; the possibility of technical, logistical or planning issues in connection with the Company’s investment in and successful deployment of the Company’s products, services and technological advancements; the ability to enter into new agreements with existing or new platforms, products and solutions in the timeframes expected, or at all; the impact of pending M&A activity in the managed care industry, including potential positive or negative impact on existing contracts or the demand for new contracts; the effects of and costs associated with compliance with regulations applicable to the Company, including regulations relating to data protection and data privacy; the effects of changes in tax laws in the jurisdictions in which we operate; the ability to protect the privacy of clients’ data and prevent security breaches; the effect of competition on the business; the timing, size and effect of business realignment and restructuring charges; the efficacy of the Company’s platforms and toolsets; and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our business and operations.
Additional information is also set forth in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2019, filed with the SEC on February 19, 2020, included under Part I, Item 1A, “Risk Factors,” and in subsequent filings with the SEC. The Company is under no duty to, and disclaims any obligation to, update any of these forward-looking statements after the date of this press release or conform these statements to actual results or revised expectations, except as required by law.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In the Company’s earnings releases, prepared remarks, conference calls, slide presentations and webcasts, there may be use or discussion of non-GAAP financial measures. The GAAP financial measure most directly comparable to each non-GAAP financial measure used or discussed, and a reconciliation of the differences between the comparable GAAP financial measure and each non-GAAP financial measure are included in this press release after the consolidated financial statements.
1 Annualized Contract Value (ACV) is defined as a metric reflecting the sum of the first 12 months of revenue expected from contracts signed during a specific period (such as a quarter or year). New sales ACV refers to the sum of the first 12 months of revenue expected from new sales contracts signed during a specific period (such as a quarter or year).
2 Metrics calculated on a trailing twelve-month (TTM) basis reflect the prior twelve months of activity. Reconciliations of TTM metrics are included in this press release after the consolidated financial statements.
3 Total Contract Value (TCV) is defined as a metric reflecting the total revenue expected from a sales contract signed during a specific period (such as a quarter or year) over the expected term of the contract.
4 Free cash flow is defined as net cash provided by operating activities less purchases of property and equipment and less investment in capitalized software.
Inovalon Holdings, Inc.
Consolidated Statements of Operations
|(In thousands, except per-share amounts)||Three Months Ended|
|Six Months Ended|
|Cost of revenue(1)||36,761||41,118||77,804||78,321|
|Sales and marketing(1)||15,073||14,306||30,232||27,832|
|Research and development(1)||8,835||7,898||15,939||16,099|
|General and administrative(1)||55,229||45,694||109,112||99,317|
|Depreciation and amortization||30,632||27,420||58,566||54,467|
|Total operating expenses||146,530||136,436||291,653||276,036|
|Income from operations||15,685||20,541||24,749||26,432|
|Other income and (expenses):|
|Other expense, net||(148||)||—||(170||)||(11||)|
|Income (Loss) before taxes||1,373||4,556||(3,855||)||(5,496||)|
|(Benefit from) Provision for income taxes||(652||)||18||(4,197||)||(1,711||)|
|Net income (loss)||$||2,025||$||4,538||$||342||$||(3,785||)|
|Net income (loss) attributable to common stockholders, basic and diluted||$||1,964||$||4,403||$||331||$||(3,785||)|
|Net income (loss) per share attributable to common stockholders, basic and diluted:|
|Basic net income (loss) per share||$||0.01||$||0.03||$||—||$||(0.03||)|
|Diluted net income (loss) income per share||$||0.01||$||0.03||$||—||$||(0.03||)|
|Weighted average shares of common stock outstanding:|
|(1||)||Includes stock-based compensation expense as follows:|
|Cost of revenue||$||153||$||78||$||318||$||155|
|Sales and marketing||752||339||1,372||639|
|Research and development||269||379||722||749|
|General and administrative||6,691||1,986||12,709||6,478|
|Total stock-based compensation expense||$||7,865||$||2,782||$||15,121||$||8,021|
Inovalon Holdings, Inc.
Consolidated Balance Sheets
|(In thousands, except share and par value amounts)||June 30,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||95,611||$||93,094|
|Accounts receivable (net of allowances of $3,824 at June 30, 2020 and $3,351 at December 31, 2019)||132,279||139,514|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||22,956||20,141|
|Income tax receivable||7,005||4,488|
|Total current assets||257,851||257,237|
By: GlobenewsWire - 26 Sep 2020Return to news
Upcoming Life Sciences Events
Latest company news